July 30 2021
2:42 AM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3


Previous story Speeding driver kills woman and left another woman disabled for live Next story
Published on

by Jonathan Humphries

Story Source

World Stories Search World World Index
CRIME Nicola Worrall, Nicola Worrall
Lyndsey Green died and her friend Nicola Worrall so badly injured she needed to learn to walk again after they were hit be speeding driver Jason Lawlor in Liverpool

A carer was killed and her disabled friend left "fighting to walk again" for the second time in her life after the pair were hit by a speeding driver.

Tragic Lyndsey Green, 30, was sent spinning into the air after Jason Lawlor "lost concentration" and hit speeds of 50mph as he drove in a 30mph zone in Liverpool.

Nicola Worrall, then 22, was left with devastating injuries and spent months in rehab after the pair tried to cross the road to get a taxi at 10.45pm on March 17, 2018.

Lawlor, 35, of Stoneycroft, Liverpool, claimed the pair had "run across the road" in his first police interview but changed his story after CCTV footage proved they had walked at a normal pace.

He was initially charged with causing death by dangerous driving and causing serious injury by dangerous driving, but eventually pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of causing death by careless driving.

Liverpool Crown Court heard he was "haunted" by the collision and has not got behind the wheel of a car since, reports the Liverpool Echo.

Henry Riding, prosecuting, told the court Ms Green and Ms Worrall were planning a night out to celebrate St Patrick Day, in memory of her mum Mary who died two years previously and loved the occasion.

Ms Green's boyfriend, Samuel Collins, had crossed the dual carriageway and flagged down a taxi, before beckoning the two women to follow him.

CCTV and witness evidence revealed that after rounding a slight bend by a speed camera, which indicated he was travelling at 30mph, Lawlor had overtaken a car and reached around 50mph within a 100 yard stretch.

Mr Riding said: "A witness, John Abiaka, was driving along West Derby Road in the same direction as the defendant.

"It is likely that it was his vehicle that the defendant overtook prior to the collision.

"He saw the defendant's car come from behind him and overtake. He formed the view that the defendant was driving too fast for the speed limit.

"He then heard two loud bangs and saw one of the females in the air.

Mr Abiaka went over to try to assist one of the females on the floor.

"He saw the defendant who said that he was the driver. Mr Abiaka suggested to the defendant that he had been speeding but the defendant replied: 'I wasn't speeding'."

The court heard Ms Green and Ms Worrall were rushed to Aintree Hospital, where Ms Green was pronounced dead later that evening.

Ms Worrall suffered devastating injuries to her head, abdomen and elbow as well as multiple broken bones - requiring months in hospital and further months of painful physiotherapy.

Expert collision investigators established that Lawlor would have had an unobstructed view of the victims for at least 3.6 seconds before the collision.