December 9 2021
4:43 AM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3


Police Standoff

Man Arrested After Shooting at Police, Standoff, Charged with Murder

Story by Oregon Herald Staff
Published on November 24, 2021 4:36 AM
PORTLAND, Oregon - On November 21, 2021, at 3:37 p.m., officers from the East Precinct responded to a welfare check call in the 2400 block of Southeast 171st Avenue. The call originated when a crying woman called dispatch to report that she was being held hostage.

Prior to officers arriving, neighbors called in and said they heard shots being fired in the area. Officers went to the residence, knocked on the door, and were then shot at through the door from the inside by an unknown suspect. Responding officers were able to get to safety and set up a perimeter around the location. Officers did not return fire and no officers were injured. Officers reported hearing additional shots being fired from within the residence.

The Special Emergency Response Team (SERT) and the Crisis Negotiation Team (CNT) responded to the location. Many attempts were made by CNT to contact anyone inside and those attempts were unsuccessful. Those attempts to communicate were by telephone and by loud hailing the suspect by use of the Long Range Acoustic Devise (LRAD).

Members of SERT began to break windows at the location to get a better view inside. Once the windows were broken, a suspect from inside the location began shooting in the direction of officers. A chemical agent was deployed into the residence and the suspect started shooting again. Officers did not return fire and continued to loud hail the suspect using the LRAD, asking them to surrender.

Eventually, officers were able to breach a barricaded door and enter the residence with a robot. Officers could see a male suspect inside, crawling around on his hands and knees. The suspect then barricaded himself in another room in the residence. At 1:12 a.m., members of SERT were able to make entry into that room and take the suspect into custody.

Officers located a female inside the residence who was deceased. The Oregon State Medical Examiner will determine the cause and manner of death. The victim's identity will be released at a later date.

The identity of the suspect has not yet been confirmed. The suspect was transported to an area hospital to be evaluated. The identity of the suspect and all charges will be provided at a later time.