Saturday
June 12 2021
11:50 AM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3

POLITICAL NEWS


Previous story Donald Trump leaves interview with Lesley Stahl, goes on Twitter attack Next story

STORY BY DAVID JACKSON USA TODAY

Story   Source

Published on October 20, 2020 9:56 PM

Political Stories Search Political Political Index
 
Donald Trump leaves interview with Lesley Stahl, goes on Twitter attack
WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump cut short a contentious interview with "60 Minutes" on Tuesday, and threatened to protest by posting a tape of the session before the program's scheduled broadcast on Sunday.

"This will be done so that everybody can get a glimpse of what a FAKE and BIASED interview is all about," Trump said in a series of tweets that also attacked "60 Minutes" correspondent Lesley Stahl.

Trump, who has often criticized coverage of "60 Minutes," did not provide any examples of bias.

Trump abruptly ended the session – he didn't do the traditional "walk-and-talk" with Stahl, and said the "60 Minutes" crew had been given enough time – nor did he return for a joint interview with Vice President Mike Pence, said two people familiar with the incident.

CBS News reported that Trump "cut short" an interview with "60 Minutes" that is part of "Sunday's special edition of the broadcast featuring both" the president and challenger Joe Biden.

As for Trump's threatened release of a tape, the network said that "the White House had agreed they were taping the interview for archival purposes only."

After the interview, the president also sent out an attack tweet about Stahl, posting a six-second video of her not wearing a mask at the White House just a few weeks after COVID-19 raced through the building.

Even though he avoids masks himself, Trump tweeted that "Lesley Stahl of 60 Minutes not wearing a mask in the White House after her interview with me."

Stahl did wear a mask at the White House in and around her talks with Trump and Pence, said a person familiar with the interviews, speaking on condition of ...