June 21 2021
12:28 AM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3

Local Oregon News

Local News Index

Previous story Man Arrested After Shots Fired Through Apartment Walls Next story

Story by The Oregon Herald Staff
Published on Sunday January 10, 2021 - 7:17 PM
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
PORTLAND, Oregon - A suspect is facing numerous charges after firing a rifle inside a Buckman Neighborhood apartment, sending bullets into neighboring units and causing water damage from a sprinkler destroyed by gunfire.

On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 5:39a.m., Central Precinct officers were dispatched to numerous reports of shots being heard in the 1200 Block of Southeast Morrison Street. When they arrived they heard gunfire coming from the second floor of an apartment building. Officers could hear that fire alarm and sprinkler system had been activated as well. Numerous officers responded to assist and a tactical plan was quickly developed. Officers used a loudspeaker to communicate with the suspect and order him to come out of the unit unarmed. The suspect complied and was taken into custody.

Officers checked the apartment and found no one injured inside. However, they found 2-inches of standing water on the floor from the sprinkler, which had been hit with one of the bullets. They also saw bullet holes in walls and the ceiling. They confirmed that the bullets had penetrated into neighboring units, but no one was struck by gunfire. Preliminary information indicates that bullets were .223 caliber rounds from a rifle.

They also discovered the gun that had been fired was staged in an elevated position to where officers outside were and a drum magazine that holds (50+) rounds was attached and loaded (photo). There were multiple rifles, handguns, and body armor inside (photo).

David Yaron, 31, of Portland, was booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center on 14 counts of Reckless Endangering and 15 counts of Discharge of a Firearm in city (City Code).

"It's not clear what this suspect had planned, but the possibilities are chilling," said Chief Chuck Lovell. "The officers who responded to this call worked seamlessly in a chaotic environment to resolve what could have been a tragic event. I thank them for their bravery and I'm relieved that no one was hurt."