May 12 2021
2:15 PM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3

Local Oregon News

Local News Index

Previous story Man Arrested on Attempted Murder After Shooting Man During Football Game Next story

Story by Oregon Herald staff
Published on Sunday November 10, 2019 - 10:17 PM

On November 9, 2019, at approximately 2:49 pm, deputies with the Deschutes County Sheriff's Office (DCSO) were dispatched to a report of a person that had been shot in the 21500 block of Bear Creek Road. A DCSO SWAT team and a team of DCSO negotiators were also dispatched to the scene based on the call information.

Deputies arrived and located an adult male with a gunshot wound to the back of his head and neck area. A deputy placed the male victim in his patrol vehicle and quickly transported him to St. Charles Medical Center in Bend for apparent non-life threatening injuries.

Additional deputies, City of Bend Police Officers, Oregon State Police Troopers, and the DCSO SWAT team arrived at the residence and established a perimeter around the residence to contain the suspect, while ensuring public safety. At 3:26 pm, 51 year old Christopher A. Honey of Bend surrendered to the DCSO SWAT team without incident.

During the initial stages of this investigation, detectives have learned Honey and another adult male were at the residence watching the LSU and Alabama college football game. A verbal, then physical dispute occurred which lead to Honey obtaining a shotgun with a birdshot shell and then shooting the male victim one time in the head and neck area as the victim was walking away.

Honey has been lodged inside the Deschutes County Sheriff's Office Adult Jail on charges that include Attempted Murder, Assault II, Unlawful Use of a Weapon and Menacing. Honey also lodged on an outstanding Deschutes County warrant for DUII and Criminal Driving while Suspended.

Alcohol is believed to be a factor in this incident. We would like to thank the City of Bend Police and Oregon State Police for their assistance in the case.