July 31 2021
9:26 AM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3

Local Oregon News

Local News Index

Previous story Officers dodge bullets, chase possible kidnapping suspect Next story
  Female passenger taken to hospital by Life Flight with life threatening injuries.   Charges include: first-degree attempted murder, second-degree attempted murder, unlawful use of a weapon, first-degree kidnapping and fleeing and attempting to elude by vehicle.  

Story by Donna Millsap - The Oregon Herald
Published on Thursday May 13, 2021 - 7:26 AM
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
SILVERTON, Oregon - On Wednesday, on May 12, 2021, law enforcement officers from the Marion County Sheriff's Office and the Silverton Police Department became involved with a Ford F-150 pursuit of a possible kidnapping suspect. While in pursuit of the pickup, an occupant in the truck fired several times toward police as they traveled through the city of Silverton. The truck finally came to a stop about three miles southeast of Silverton on Highway 214 near Forest Ridge Road NE where the suspect exchanged gunfire with officers.

The suspect, identified Thursday morning by Oregon State Police as 20-year-old Kenneth Williams Peden III of Woodburn, was taken to the Marion County Jail and faces five charges: first-degree attempted murder with a firearm, second-degree attempted murder with a firearm, unlawful use of a weapon with a firearm, first-degree kidnapping and fleeing and attempting to elude by vehicle.

The female passenger, later identfied as 17 year old Molly Taylor, was taken by Life Flight from the scene with life threatening injuries. She later died from her injuries. Multiple police vehicles were struck by gunfire during the incident, however, no law enforcement officers were injured.

A Marion County Sheriff's Office Deputy and two Silverton Police Officers were involved in the shooting. The Oregon State Police will be leading the investigation into the incident and the law enforcement officers will be placed on Administrative Leave.

Oregon State Police is requesting anyone who may have witnessed the incident to call the Oregon State Police Northern Command Center at 1-800-442-0776 or OSP refer to OSP Case #SP21-126472