Tuesday
January 18 2022
11:28 AM
banner-icon1 banner-icon2 banner-icon3
Kelso man barely escapes bedroom fire

LOCAL NEWS

Fire

Kelso man barely escapes bedroom fire


Story by Oregon Herald Staff
Published on January 12, 2022 11:58 AM
 
KELSO, Washington - Just before 10 am this morning a Kelso man woke to find his room on fire.He narrowly escaped uninjured but, his room was destroyed

Initial 911 dispatch was, "Son is trapped in the garage and it is on fire!"

Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue and Longview Fire crews arrived within 5 minutes of dispatch to find a "Working Fire" in a detached garage with confirmation of garage being evacuated.

The fire was "Knocked down" and "In overhaul" within 5 minutes.

Investigation revealed the approximately 180 square garage attic had been remodeled into a living space for the man. The man stated his barking dog woke him to a fire next to his bed that was spreading rapidly. He stated his dog also escaped uninjured.

No smoke detectors were located in the living space.

Red Cross is assisting the man and his dog.

The living space is a total loss and the fire is currently under investigation

C2FR and Longview Fire Department responded with 4 fire engines, 1 ladder truck 1- ALS ambulance and 3- Battalion Chief. Kelso Police Department and Cowlitz PUD also responded.

All emergency units cleared the scene just after 11 am