The Lebanon Fire District responded to 2 reported structure fires within 30 minutes of each other this evening, the first fire coming in at 10:00 pm. The fire was reported to be a stove on fire while the occupant was cooking. Upon arrival of the IC, the only occupant of the house told firefighters that the fire was out but wanted it checked. Firefighters made access and confirmed the fire was out, but that the residence was full of smoke. Firefighters used powerful fans to blow the smoke out of the residence so the occupant could continue to stay in the house. While evacuating the smoke, firefighters noticed the residence didn't have any smoke detectors. Firefighters placed a smoke detector and reminded the occupant of the importance of having working smoke alarms. Firefighters remained on the scene for approximately 20 minutes evacuating smoke and installing the detector.
The firefighters then responded to a 2nd structure fire reported at the old Champion mill site off Burdell Blvd after multiple callers reported a building on fire. Upon arrival of the IC a 36x20 vacant storage shed was found to be fully involved, the IC decided to make this fire a defensive attack do to the involvement of the structure. The blaze was extinguished without incident by using monitor nozzles along with handheld streams, the fire was under control and out within approximately 30 minutes of arrival. Crews stayed on scene extinguishing hot spots, and at this time the fire is suspicious in nature. The building was a known to be frequented by transients. The mill site is very familiar to the Lebanon firefighters after they have battled multiple blazes in the adjacent old storage buildings that once scattered this site, the latest happening in November.
Lebanon Fire District responded with 23 personnel on 3 Engines, 1 ladder truck, 1 medic unit, a Pumper-Tender and 4 chief officers along with a rehab unit for firefighters. The Fire District was assisted by Lebanon Police Department and the Linn County Sheriff's office.
The Lebanon Fire District wants to again remind its residence of the importance of having working smoke detectors and that they are properly placed in your home. Rental homes are required by law to have working smoke alarms placed by property owner or landlord. Any questions please contact your local fire department.