November 18 2018
The Oregon Herald was established as an alternative to the ad-riddled pages of commercial publications in February of 2001. The Oregon Herald accepts Interns year-round in a nine level online course for summer, fall and spring engagements. We also accept writers, and journalists interested in publishing their byline. The Oregon Herald is interested in the community of Oregon and the world and people of the Pacific Northwest.
The original Oregon Herald newspaper, not directly associated with the current Oregon Herald or Oregon State Media Inc., was founded in February of 1846. Early circulation was mainly among the publisher's friends, business acquaintances, and to the few who contributed to the early cause by donation. It was nearly ten years later that the first commercial issue of the Oregon Herald newspaper appeared in 1866. M. H. Abbott and N. L. Butler were editors and proprietors. Three months later the day to day operations of the Oregon Herald was given to the Oregon Herald Company, composed of a group of Oregon democratic leaders, including Judge A. E. Wait, W. Weatherford, Judge J. K. Kelly, Governor L. F. Grover, Dr. J. C. Hawthorne, J. S. Smith, and N. L. Butler.
Beriah Brown was appointed editor in June of 1866, the day after the joint stock company took charge. A week later the paper began the publication of a Sunday issue. In 1868 Sylvester Pennoyer purchased the paper and became its first commercial full-time editor. On July 1, 1869, Pennoyer sold the paper to T. Patterson & Company. Eugene Semple was employed as editor. On December 1, 1871, the paper was sold to a stock company.
N. L. Butler, one of the proprietors of the Oregon Herald, was a young man, a recent graduate from Willamette University. His father, J. B. V. Butler, came to Oregon in 1849, settled at Oregon City, and in 1850 moved to Oregon and ran a store in Portland. J. B. V. Butler offered $5,000 to buy the plant of the Oregon Herald. The plant of the Oregon Herald was sold at public auction and bought by H. L. Pittock.
Sylvester Pennoyer, who had owned the Oregon Herald, was born in New York State, July 6, 1831. He came to Portland in 1855 and was engaged as a teacher in the public schools. He was governor of Oregon from 1887 to 1895 and mayor of Portland from 1896 to 1898. There is no direct relationship between the original Oregon Herald, Sylvester Pennoyer, and The Oregon Herald news publication of today. The two identities are completely separate.